Skip to main content

Thing 31: Final Reflections - Lia Williams


As with Cool Tools Session #1, I learned plenty from this session that I was able to incorporate into my teaching practice (and even one thing that applied for my home-life/own kids!). 

For school, I was able to incorporate a few different tools in my practice...from Flubaroo to GoogleSlides, to different ways to assess and provide feedback to students.  Personally, I created a library for my 5-year-old son using Padlet, and it turns out that another PD that I did used Padlet as a response tool as well.  I'm glad I got familiar with it through Cool Tools so that I knew how to use it without any glitches. 

A few other people in my building have done at least one Cool Tools session, so I really enjoyed talking with them about what they chose to explore. Some chose different "Things", and some chose the same "Things" that I did. I was able to learn about tools that I didn't explore, and I was also able to see what others did for the tools that I did explore. It's interesting to see how different a person's final product can be even when exploring the same tool. 

I did implement a few things in my classroom that worked pretty well, and that I'm likely to use again: GoogleForms and Quizlet for sure. I'd love to develop mini-quizzes or games for each of the major units that I teach, but that will take some time to develop. I've already shared both platforms with a few other teachers who are tech-savvy, and I've encouraged them to explore them by signing up for this PD next year (if offered) and getting credit to make their class more engaging and quicker on feedback. 

I really enjoy learning on my own, and I like being able to see who else is signed up via GoogleClassroom so that I can reach out, ask questions, and bounce ideas off of those who are working on some of the same tools. 

What's great about Cool Tools is that you can do this PD 5 times and not even explore a fraction of what's available out there. I would definitely do this PD again because it is done on my own time, sometimes from the couch, and I can take as much time as I want to explore (usually spent more than 2 hours on exploration because there's just so much!). 

Comments

  1. Excited to hear that you and your colleagues are sharing what you explored! Really amplifies the value of the work you've all be doing for the workshops. Thanks for participating and sharing your discoveries and ideas!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thing 4: Twitter, Facebook & PLNs - Lia Williams

I made a Twitter account a while  ago...probably a couple years after it became popular. At the time I did it just to do it, and I followed a few different people/associations that I felt posted things that were relevant or interesting to me. After exploring some of the hashtags that were suggesting, and finding even more that were not mentioned, I realize what a valuable tool Twitter can be in helping me access different resources.  Having taught for 12 years, its easy to fall back on previous lessons using the same old sources, but I actually found (and followed) a few new  people/associations that included links to sources that seem like they could be useful (HistoryPod, achievethecore.org). There is definitely more out there now than there was when I first joined, and I'm excited to spend some more time perusing Twitter to see what else is out there. I'd like to use Twitter to get connected to new and different resources, and I'd also like to get more activ

Thing 08: Digital Curation Tools

For this assignment, I checked out padlet.com. The reason I chose to explore Padlet is because in another PD that I'm doing, we are compiling our feedback and thoughts on a padlet (I'm wondering if that PD leader learned about it from the Cool Tools PD--wouldn't that be full circle!).  I wanted to see how it might be useful to me as a teacher or to my students, so I started to put together some resources for my upcoming unit on Civil Rights. Link here .  I liked how I could organize ideas by lesson or column, as well as having the option to color-code to differentiate between topics.  I disliked the fact that I would still run into trouble if I wanted to share some links with students. I'd have to upload the files to GoogleDrive first, then make sure those files looked right, then link it to Padlet. It seemed like a bit of extra work if this was going to be a place to compile resources.  I think I might explore Padlet a bit more as a tool for leaving fe

Thing 05: Audio Tools - Lia Williams

I chose to check out Flipgrid, which I've never heard of before, but will probably try to incorporate into my classroom somehow. Flipgrid has many options, but the one I chose to do a video on was #8: Exit tickets get a makeover.  Post the question “What did you learn today?” or better yet ask your students “What did you create today?” for the students to answer before leaving class. Here's my video, which would be used as the Exit Ticket prompt (you have to click my selfie for the video to play!):  https://admin.flipgrid.com/manage/grids/1013642/topics/3093325  I don't always have to do a video to ask the question, but I like that students have to record an audio or video response. A lot of students are hesitant to write, but a good percentage of my weak writers could talk for hours . One of my theories that my co-teacher and I have been testing out this year has to do with the hypothesis "If you can talk about the topic or teach the topic to someone else flue